If celibacy has such value, why isn't it working so well in the Roman Catholic Church?
70% of Catholics do not attend church according to CARA, a RC sociology group. Family-based churches with married ministers have much better stats to offer.
One out of 3 priests has left the corporate priesthood to enter into the more normal lifestyle of marriage. What does this say about the sexual demographics of the priesthood? Are straight priests fleeing a gay culture?
Many parishioners have a hard time contacting their priests when they need them, despite the claim that celibacy frees a priest to be available to his people 24/7.
Thousands of RC parishes across the country are without a resident priest. How can celibacy fix this worsening situation?
Father Donald Cozzens says that the priesthood is becoming a gay profession and cites a 60% prevalence of gay priests. 25,000 straight priests have left to marry. How many gay priests have left the corporate priesthood to partner with another man?
Roman Catholicism has hosted the worst institutional child sex abuse atrocity in modern history. Isn't it counterintuitive to suggest that celibacy and homosexuality have nothing to do with this reality that continues to unfold on a weekly basis?
Richard Sipe, a psychologist who has studied the priesthood for close to 30 years, states that 1% of priests achieve the total continece required of celibacy. The other 99% go through cycles of breaking their vow, confessing to another priest, short term repentance, and re-offending. Is that a good and healthy celibate lifestyle?
Perhaps mandatory celibacy in the Roman Catholic Church serves other functions that are not readily visible to the donating Catholic.
Concepts can be fascinating. Results are what really count, and the numbers don't look good to me. Faith is a completely different issue.